Copy and Paste Issues

Home Page Forums Blackboard Users Copy and Paste Issues

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shawnalee Whitney Shawnalee Whitney 3 years ago.

• Author
    Posts
  • #2963
    Profile photo of Douglass Bourne
    Douglass Bourne
    Participant

Hi Blackboard Users:

Has anyone else had difficulty copying and pasting content into Blackboard this semester? It seems that Blackboard doesn’t allow it any longer. Is there a way around the system?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Doug

• #2964
    Profile photo of Shawnalee Whitney
    Shawnalee Whitney
    Participant

I believe the current iteration of Bb requires that you use the Ctrl C and Ctrl V instead of your mouse.

• #2965
    Profile photo of Douglass Bourne
    Douglass Bourne
    Participant

Thanks, Shawnalee, but I’ve been trying that too. Here is a better explanation of what I’ve noticed lately. When posting an announcement, I can’t copy and paste into the text box (copy and paste is useful when sending the same announcement to multiple sections). Yet when I build a link into a learning module, I can copy and paste the url into the appropriate box. Copy and paste doesn’t work with short-cut keys or with the mouse options from a mac laptop running OS X Lion.

Any ideas?

Doug

• #2966
    Profile photo of Shawnalee Whitney
    Shawnalee Whitney
    Participant

Hmmm… I wish I had more ideas. I’ll be watching for this problem with my use of Bb, too. Maybe Lara Madden can help? Is there a way to page her to this thread so others having the same issue might see the response?

• #2967
    Profile photo of Lara N Madden
    Lara N Madden
    Participant

Yes! Sorry I missed this forum earlier in the week.

We have brought this copy/paste issue up to IT Call Center and they have a ticket in with Blackboard.com support.

First on a MAC Command “c” & Command “v” worked until this semester from BB Shell to BB Shell, but that seems to be broken, and that is what Rachel is looking into.

The work arounds suggested from IT are:

1. Use Safari on a MAC for copying and pasting from one shell to another (my guess is you are copying assignment instructions or you would be using the Copy the content features?)

2. You can (in all browsers) copy the “html” code behind the text box from on shell to another using either the command keys or the mouse options. I do this anyway because it keeps the integrity of the formatting. This may be the fastest fix.

1. Open your “assignment” you need to copy (you can do this with any area that opens a text box)
    2. Make sure you have access to the full edit toolbar in your content area: Use the Double Chevron button located at the far right of the toolbar to open
    3. Select the html button.
    4. This will open a new dialogue box showing the html code (don’t worry if you don’t understand the code)
    5. Use your mouse, select all the code in the box and copy,
    6. Cancel out of this box and out of the assignment
    7. Go to your new BB Shell, open the area you are copying too, follow step 2 & 3
    8. Paste the code into the box and select UPDATE
    9. You will see your copied text and you can now edit if you need too, when it reads how you would like, Submit and Viola!

Sorry this has happened, but just think of it as a new digital literacy skill!

(I hope that helps!)

If I get a resolved ticket from IT about these tools I will post the resolution to all of you…

Lara

• #2968
    Profile photo of Lara N Madden
    Lara N Madden
    Participant

On the next question:

The Contact Instructors area in Blackboard allows you to create multiple contacts. So if a TA or Library Staff are assisting you with your course you can add them there, or they can create it themselves if they are TA or Instructor Users.

Remind anyone new to that tool to make sure to make their contact information “available to users” before they submit. I like this because you can also add a profile picture so students become familiar with you from the course shell.

Lara

• #2970
      Profile photo of Shawnalee Whitney
      Shawnalee Whitney
      Participant

What I’m hoping for is the ability to copy from one shell/course to another. It would be nice to be able to copy the contacts I’ve already created (as I do when copying something like an assignment handout from one course to another?) rather than have to re-enter the information each time for each section I teach.

• #2969
    Profile photo of Douglass Bourne
    Douglass Bourne
    Participant

Thanks, Lara. That is a big help.

• #2972
    Profile photo of Jennifer Stone
    Jennifer Stone
    Participant

Another easy workaround is to copy from Blackboard, paste into a text editor, and then copy and paste back into Blackboard.

• #2973
    Profile photo of Lara N Madden
    Lara N Madden
    Participant

Shawnalee,

You can copy an entire content area (folder), items, videos, anything but assignments and test deployments from shell to shell,  if you choose the little chevron menu and it gives you a copy option. Choose Copy and it will ask what class, and you can choose where in that class to put the item.

If you want a quick run through on it stop into the office.

Lara

• #2975
    Profile photo of Shawnalee Whitney
    Shawnalee Whitney
    Participant

Thanks, Lara. This helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.